- 2 ounces Hardwood Smoked Extra Lean Boneless Ham
- 3 ounces Austrian Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- 1/8 ounce Dijon Mustard
- 2 slices White Split-Top Bread
- 1 ounce Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter, melted
- ¼ ounce Enriched All-Purpose Flour
- 2 ounces 2% Milk
- Create a bechamel by heating butter, then adding flour to create a roux.
- Add milk to roux and stir over medium heat until sauce thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk 2 ounces of grated gruyere cheese to the bechamel. Continue whisking until smooth, then remove from heat.
- In a heated skillet melt 1 tablespoon of butter and toast 2 slices of bread on both sides.
- Place one slice of toast onto a broiler pan, place ham, 1/3 of bechamel and ½ ounce of remaining shredded cheese.
- Spread dijon mustard on the other slice of toast, place mustard side down on sandwich.
- Pour remaining bechamel and top with remaining cheese.
- Finish heating by placing in oven, then broil to brown the top.