Alaska 'Crab' Portofino Soup
A robust Mediterranean-style seafood soup simmered with tomatoes, vegetables, fresh basil and chunks of sweet, tender Wild Alaska Surimi Seafood.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lb. onions, diced
- 1 lb. celery, sliced thin
- 1 lb. fennel, sliced thin
- 1 lb. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. saffron (or to taste)
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 12 cups clam juice
- 6 cups marinara sauce
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 3 lb. Alaska Surimi Seafood, flaked or chunked
- In a large pot, heat oil. Add onions, celery and fennel; sauté until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Mix in spinach, basil, garlic, oregeno, red pepper and saffron; sauté 2 minutes. Add wine. Bring to simmer; simmer 1 minute. Mix in clam juice and marinara sauce. Bring to simmer; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning. Keep hot.
- For each serving, portion 2 oz. surimi into 8-oz. container, fill with hot soup.