Chef David Cunningham | Reinhart Valdosta
- 8 oz spiedini (recipe below)
- 4 oz escarole and white beans
- 1 oz tomato and roasted garlic jus
- 8 oz flap meat steak
- 3 Tbsp seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, course
- 1 Tbsp seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp grated Romano cheese
Roasted tomato and Garlic Jus
- 1 lb Roma tomatoes
- 1 lb roasted garlic
- 1/2 C white wine
- 2 C chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- Mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and Romano cheese in a small bowl. Butterfly flap meat steak; lay flat and pound with a meat tenderizer to flatten to ¼-inch thickness, keeping meat as square as possible. Mix chopped parsley and minced garlic together. Spread garlic and parsley onto the inside surface of the meat. Season with S&P. Sprinkle breadcrumb and cheese mixture onto meat surface and tap slightly. Roll the meat, starting on the long side into roulade and fasten with 2 six-inch bamboo skewers. Grill to desired temperature by intermittently rolling. Allow to rest 2 to 5 minutes. Remove skewers and slice into ½-inch slices.
- Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise and oil lightly. Place cut side down on sheet pan and roast in 400 F oven for 10 minutes. Pull out and remove skins. Return to oven for 10 more minutes. Let cool and chop. Place chopped tomatoes and all remaining ingredients in a sauce pot and simmer for 5 minutes. Reserve warm for service.
- To serve, shingle sliced spiedini on the front of the plate. Sauce with 1 oz of tomato and roasted garlic jus. Place casserole with escarole and white beans on the back of the plate.