Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
Chef Yvette Marie Hirang, Sales Consultant, Kansas City, Mo.
- 1 lb 25-30 shrimp
- ¼ c rice wine vinegar
- ¼ c soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 c canola or vegetable oil
- 1 small package of rice noodles
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- ¼ tbsp yellow onion, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 c water chestnuts, chopped
- ½ c red or green bell pepper, small diced
- 1 head Iceberg or Romaine lettuce
- 1 c Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Hoisin Sauce or Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- Combine shrimp with rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside. Heat oil on medium heat in a sauce pan. Separate rice noodle strands and fry until they’ve puffed up and doubled in size. This only takes two seconds to three seconds. Dry on a paper towel.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a saute pan or wok. Add garlic, onions and ginger. Cook until soft, about three minutes. Add marinated shrimp and saute for two minutes. Add water chestnuts and bell peppers to the pan or wok and continue cooking for three minutes. Separate lettuce leaves and rinse in cold water. Drain and let dry on paper towel.
- In a small sauce pot, combine all sauce ingredients except cornstarch and water mix. Let simmer for five minutes. When sauce is bubbling slightly, add cornstarch mixture and simmer for two minutes. Turn off heat. To assemble wraps, place shrimp and veggie filling on a lettuce leaf and drizzle with sauce.