The High Tea Cocktail
RESTAURANT: Slightly North of Broad (SNOB), Charleston, S.C.
DRINK: The High Tea Cocktail
CREATOR: Bartender Ashley Perry-Platine
"I wanted to do a cocktail with a tea infusion, which are very popular in spring and summer. Strawberries were in season and I had just gone strawberry picking and fell in love with the strawberries at Ambrose Farms. We thought the rum and the strawberries were a no-brainer but wanted to add something that had a nice aroma that would add a touch of sweet and bitter at the same time, so we decided to infuse Earl Grey tea and sweet vermouth. Then, we thought of strawberry rhubarb and thought rhubarb bitters would add a nice dimension to the cocktail.” – Ashley Perry-Platine
- 2 medium strawberries
- 1.5 oz of tea-infused sweet vermouth
- 1 oz. of Cruzan silver rum
- 2 dashes rhubarb bitters
- soda water to finish
- fresh basil leaf to garnish
- Steep 3 Charleston Tea Plantation Earl Grey tea bags (or favorite Earl Gray tea) in 10 ounces of sweet vermouth at room temp for 30 minutes. Remove bags and discard.
- In shaker tin, muddle 2 medium strawberries in 1.5 oz. of tea-infused sweet vermouth.
- Add 1 oz. of Cruzan silver rum, ice and shake.
- Strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice.
- Add 2 dashes of rhubarb bitters and top with soda water.
- Garnish with a fresh basil leaf.