Tempura Soft Shell Crab & Roasted Pepper Gazpacho
- 10 Ea Crab Soft Shell
- 12 oz Pepper Bell Orange
- 12 oz Pepper Red Whole
- 1 Ea Cucumber Select Whole
- 6 Ea Tomato Round
- 1 oz Garlic
- 4 oz Oil Olive Pomace
- 4 oz Vinegar White Wine, Champagne Style
- 2 oz Basil Tops
- Each Avocado Hass Green
- 4 oz Sour Cream
- 8 oz Batter Tempura Mix
- Roast peppers and the tomatoes until they’re charred in appearance in a 400°F oven with the olive oil 10-15 minutes or until desired char. Let chill; remove peppers to separate tray to remove skin, stems and seeds. Save oil that peppers and tomatoes were roasted in to flavor the gazpacho.
- Dice the garlic and cucumber and add to the pepper tomato and olive oil from roasting pan. Add basil and about half the vinegar and puree; smooth with some remaining texture. Add more vinegar and salt and pepper to desired taste.
- Avocado crema: Blend the avocado and sour cream until smooth; add salt to taste.
- Dip crab in tempura batter, shake off excess and fry until done. Plate up – a wide bowl of soup topped with the crab only slightly submerged on one side topped with a quenelle of avocado crema on crab. Additional garnish suggestions: julienned cucumber, smoked paprika, pepilas and/or cumin oil.
- Servings: 10
- Type: Lunch, Dinner
- Categories: Recipes, VOL 6 - ISSUE 2 • SPRING 2018
- Tags: Dinner, Lunch, Seafood, Soup