RESTAURANT: Odd Duck, Austin, Texas
CREATOR: General manager and partner Jason James
"We really like to use shrubs to preserve ingredients through the seasons. This one is made with strawberries, which are amazing in the spring but if you make enough shrub, you can make this cocktail year round. The name comes as a tribute to David Bowie and his passing. The cocktail is easy drinking, refreshing and spring in a cup. With all the fresh ingredients around the kitchen, this cocktail will pair beautifully with them all." – Jason James
- 1.5 oz Ayelsbury Duck Vodka
- Strawberry Shrub
- .75 oz Green Chartreuse
- .5 oz Lemon
- 2-3 drops of salt brine
- De-cap and quarter as many strawberries as on hand. Weigh strawberries and store in a large, clear cambro. Add equal weight in organic sugar and mix well. Macerate for 48 hours, stirring twice daily. After 48 hours, add the same weight in champagne vinegar as organic sugar. Stir and let sit for 24 hours then refrigerate. Let sit in fridge for seven days minimum. Once strained, add to cocktail.
- Combine ingredients in shaker over ice and shake.
- Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with a flamed lemon peel.