Short Rib, Caramelized Onions and “Bleu Jack” Grilled Cheese
Approximate Portion Cost: $2.75
Suggested Menu Price: $8.95
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless short ribs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large onions, sliced (1 for braising short rib, 1 for caramelized onions for sandwich)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 slices of Bleu Jack Cheese
- 8 slices of Sourdough Reuben Bread
- 4 Tbl Unsalted Butter
- Salt and pepper the meat: Heat the oven to 325°F.
- Place a deep, wide Dutch oven or sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the short ribs. Sear the short ribs without moving for several minutes on each side, letting them brown deeply. Use tongs to turn and sear all sides. This will take about 15 minutes total.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion and garlic around the browned short ribs. Let the onions sweat for about 5 minutes or until they soften.
- Add liquid and bring to a simmer, once simmering, add thyme and cover the pan tightly. Place in the oven and bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the meat is very tender.
- Rest the meat and allow it to cool. Place in refrigerator and refrigerate overnight.
Making the sandwich
- Pre heat Panini grill or heavy sauté pan.
- Top 4 slices of bread with about 2 slices of cheese each. Add 1 teaspoon of caramelized onion. Top with 4 oz. pulled short ribs and a second layer of cheese. Top with remaining slices of bread to form 4 sandwiches. Brush both sides of each sandwich with 1/2 teaspoon of softened butter.
No video selected.