Seared Scallop Polenta Cakes
Chef Bill Frost | Reinhart Twin Cities
- 4 oz grade A salted sweet butter
- 2 oz green onion, chopped
- 1 oz garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp coarse kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp whole thyme leaves
- 64 oz canned chicken broth
- 2 C untreated yellow cornmeal
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese
- 4 oz shredded asiago cheese
- 3 lbs wild sea scallops
- 4 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz white balsamic shallot vinaigrette dressing
- 1 oz fresh citrus microgreens
- In pan, over medium heat, sauté green onions, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme in butter, gently, until onions are soft. Cook for approximately 3 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add chicken broth and slowly stir in cornmeal over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover, stirring occasionally until creamy about 25 minutes to 30 minutes.
- Whisk in asiago cheese, then mascarpone until smooth. Pour mixture onto parchment-lined baking sheet and cool. Cut polenta with a 2-inch ring. It should be about 48 pieces. Gently brown in butter and plate 3 per serving.
- Sauté scallops in olive oil over high heat, turned once when nicely seared. Cook to medium, about one minute per side.
- Place one scallop on each polenta cake; drizzle with white balsamic vinaigrette. Garnish with microgreens.