Pescado a la Veracruzana
A traditional fish dish from the coast of Mexico
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 green chiles, roasted and chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 12 large green olives, cut in half
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 4 pieces fresh red snapper
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil in large saucepan. Heat it over medium-high and add onions. Sauté onions until they become opaque. Add garlic, tomatoes and green chiles, and continue to cook them. Reduce heat to medium-low and add remaining ingredients, except for fish.
- Simmer sauce for 15 minutes. Heat sauté pan over medium heat; add remaining olive oil. Season fish with salt and pepper, and place fish in the pan, skin side up and cook for 3 minutes to 6 minutes, then turn. Continue to cook until done. Plate and cover with sauce.