Mexican Rice and Beans
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb red tomatoes
- ½ lb Pinto beans, cooked and seasoned
- 3 green jalapeno chiles, seeded and sliced in small strips
- ¼ lb queso fresco, crumbled
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Cilantro leaves, washed chopped
- Salt to taste
- Rinse rice very well, place in pot and cover with water. Add salt to taste, cover pan and put over stove at high heat setting. Cook tomatoes and chiles with little water until tender. Puree half the chiles, tomatoes, garlic and salt.
- Sauté onions, add sauce and continue to cook for a few minutes. Remove from heat and add cheese. Roast the other half of chiles in oil until charred slightly. To serve this dish, place a bed of rice, top with salsa and beans, then decorate with remaining chile strips and cilantro leaves.