Mahi Mahi Arepas
- 2 C arepa flour (pre-cooked cornmeal)
- 1 Tsp salt
- 3 C water
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Blackening seasoning
- Black beans, cooked
- Avocado, sliced
- Crumbled queso blanco
- Mix together the arepa flour, and salt in a large bowl.
- Slowly add in the water, mixing with a wooden spoon.
- Cover, and let it rest for about 25 minutes.
- Start making patties that are about 4" in diameter by 1/2" thick.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and place the arepas in the pan. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes on one side, then flip and cook uncovered for 6-8 minutes on the other side.
- Season each side of the fish with blackening seasoning.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Place mahi in the pan and let cook for about 3 minutes, then flip over and let cook for another 3-4 minutes, until the fish is opaque.
To assemble the arepas, split the rolls halfway to make a "pocket." Place the mahi on the bottom half of the roll, then top with the black beans, sliced avocado and crumbled queso blanco. Serve warm.