Lasagna with Spicy Pork Italian Sausage
- 1 1/4 pounds Eagle Ridge® Pork Italian Sausage, Bulk (Item# 51532)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley, plus 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley or basil
- 1/4 cup minced onion, plus 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 7 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 8 oz. Trifoglio® Tomatoes, Crushed (Item# 13032)
- 1 14 1/2-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 15-oz container ricotta cheese, low fat
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles
- 9 ounces Villa Frizzoni® Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (Item# 61676)
- 1 ounce Villa Frizzoni® Shredded Parmesan Cheese (Item# 70946)
- In a large bowl, combine the pork Italian sausage, and red pepper flakes. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a large saucepan or small stockpot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the diced onion, mushrooms and remaining garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in all the tomatoes (with their juices), wine and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour.
- After about 45 minutes, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the pork Italian sausage mixture, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula, until no longer pink, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Stir the cooked pork Italian sausage mixture into the tomato mixture, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, egg and roughly chopped parsley or basil. Set aside.
- Spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick spray and arrange 1/3 of the noodles on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of the tomato sauce over the noodles. Top with 1/3 of the ricotta mixture and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Add two more layers of noodles, tomato sauce, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Top with the Parmesan cheese and bake uncovered until browned and heated through, 35 to 40 minutes.