Italian Sausage Pork Meatball Sandwich
- 1 pound Eagle Ridge® Pork Italian Sausage, Bulk (Item# 51532)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup Villa Frizzoni® Fresh Mozzarella Cheese (Item#12626), cut into 12 to 15, ½” size cubes
- 28-ounces Villa Frizzoni® Chunky Marinara Sauce (Item# 12072)
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Submarine-style buns
- In a large bowl combine the whisked eggs, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Add the pork Italian sausage and breadcrumbs and mix together until evenly combined.
- Form the sausage mixture into small meatballs, each the size of a golf ball.
- Insert a piece of mozzarella in the center of each meatball, taking care to re-form the meatball around the cheese once it’s been added. (The cheese should not be visible.)
- Place the marinara sauce in the bottom of a slow cooker and add the meatballs on top.
- Turn the slow cooker on and cook over high heat for 6 hours or low heat for 8 hours. Carefully rotate the meatballs after half the cooking time to make sure they cook evenly.
- To serve, place three meatballs plus sauce in a submarine bun.