Huevos Benedictos with Grilled Fruit
Chef Michael Boisseree, Sales Consultant/Division Chef, Omaha, Neb.
- 2 Sopes
- 2 tbsp refried beans
- 1 1/2 oz cooked chorizo
- 1 poached egg
- 1 tbsp house-made chipotle hollandaise
- 1 tsp queso fresco
- Chopped cilantro to garnish
- 3 c masa harina
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 1/4 c warm water
- 1 lb pinto beans, dried
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp lard, shortening or vegetable oil
- 2 qt water
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 qt water held on stove at 180 F
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 12 eggs
- Once sopes have been removed from fryer and excess oil has been shaken off, apply one heaping tablespoon of refried beans to each. Then sprinkle one-and-a-half ounces of cooked, crumbled chorizo on each. Top chorizo with one poached egg on each sope. Pour one tablespoon of chipotle Hollandaise on each egg. Sprinkle one teaspoon of crumbled queso fresco on each sope.
- Garnish each sope with a light sprinkle of fresh, chopped cilantro. Serve with one to two grilled fruit skewers seasoned with salt, chili powder and a squeeze of lime.
- Mix the masa harina and salt. Slowly stir in water and knead until it forms a dough ball (add more water with a tablespoon at a time as needed in case the dough is dry and cracking).
- Divide dough evenly into 20 smaller dough balls and then flatten with a tortilla press or rolling pin to a 4 1/2” diameter. Heat flat top or pan to medium high heat (approximately 350 F).
- Put the sope doughs on the flat top and cook for one minute before flipping. Cook for one minute on the other side and flip again. Cook for 30 seconds and remove from heat. Begin pinching the edges to form a lip around the outside. Cover with a towel in an airtight container and hold for service.
- Thoroughly clean beans by rinsing them, then allowing to air dry. Bring water and salt to a boil and add pinto beans. Boil for two-and-a-half hours. Strain beans and reserve one cup of cooking liquid.
- Heat one tablespoon of lard in a three quarter to four quarter pot. Sweat onions until “translucent.” Pour in cooked beans and water and smash with a potato masher, creating a smooth sauce, while still leaving some beans partially whole. Fold in last tablespoon of lard.
- Crack eggs into small bowl, then slowly drop into poaching water. Poach for three minutes to four minutes. Retrieve with a slotted spoon. Dab bottom of spoon on a clean towel to get rid of excess liquid.
- Blend one can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and mix into one quart of scratch made or pre-made Hollandaise sauce.
- Soak wood skewers in water at least one hour before assembling. Build skewers using fresh cut melon chunks, whole strawberries and pineapple chunks. Season fruit with salt and Culinary Secrets light chili powder. Grill skewers on medium high heat until caramelized on each side. Remove from heat and squeeze a lime wedge over them.
No video selected.