Dark Chocolate Orange Townie
with Amaretto Cream
A townie is the perfect partnering of a tart shell and a brownie. Pair rich orange flavor with dark chocolate, then spoon into a tasty tart shell. It’s a decadent twist that takes the brownie to new heights.
Almond Tart Shell
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup ground sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons freshly grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 4-1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Amaretto Whip Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
Candied Orange Slices
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 navel oranges, sliced crosswise, 1/4-inch thick
Almond Tart Shell:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Pulse sugar, butter, salt and extracts in food processor. Add flour and ground almonds, pulsing until it forms crumbs that cling together when squeezed. Press 1-1/2 cups of the crumb crust into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13-3/4 x 4-1/2 x 1-inch high fluted tart pan. Repeat with second pan.
- Freeze crusts for 20 minutes. Bake the crusts for 14 minutes or until they just start to brown around the edges.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Add sugar and stir well. Once the sugar is incorporated, add the chocolate, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; add orange juice, peel and vanilla extract. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well. Using a mesh sieve or sifter, sift the corn starch, cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt into the chocolate mix. Using a hand mixer, beat on medium speed until batter is smooth and shiny.
- Fill the baked tart shells with the brownie filling almost to the top of the pan, about 1 pound, 2 ounces for each crust. Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until the brownie is semi-firm to touch. Place on a cooling rack and let cool for 45 minutes.
Amaretto Whip Cream:
- Beat cream, sugar and amaretto in a chilled bowl with a wire whip on high for 2 minutes, until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until ready to plate.
Candied Orange Slices:
- Combine water and sugar in a large skillet and bring to a boil. Add orange slices and cook over moderate heat, turning them occasionally, until the liquid is reduced to a thin syrup and the orange slices are translucent, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer until the syrup is thick and the slices are tender but still intact, turning occasionally for about 10 minutes. Transfer the orange slices to a rack to cool.
- Remove the tart from the rim of the pan and let cool another 15 minutes. Cut townie into slices and serve with the Amaretto Cream and Candied Orange Slices.