Crab Cakes w/Wasabi Ginger Aioli
Chef Paul Young
- 16 oz blue crab meat
- 3 oz mayonnaise
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ oz celery, diced
- 5 oz Japanese panko bread crumbs
- ¼ oz imported Nonpareil capers, roughly chopped
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne red pepper
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp wasabi powder
- 1 oz red bell pepper, minced
- 1 Tbsp 100% lemon juice
- ½ Tbsp coarse Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp 10% blended olive oil
- Drain the crab meat well by squeezing out excess liquid. Place in a bowl with the diced celery, red onion, salt, lemon juice and capers. Add yolk, 2 ounces mayonnaise, cayenne pepper and half the amount of panko breadcrumbs. Mix well and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Add the rest of the panko breadcrumbs and mix well.
- For the wasabi ginger aioli: Whisk ginger powder, wasabi powder and remaining mayonnaise. Refrigerate.
- Fold crab mixture into 2-ounce patties. Bring a sauté pan up to medium high heat. Add oil and the crab cakes, sear on each side and finish cooking in the oven for an additional 4 minutes.
- Place a dollop of the wasabi/ginger aioli on each cake and garnish with minced red pepper.
- Servings: 4
- Type: Lunch, Dinner, Entree
- Categories: Recipes, VOL 6 - ISSUE 4 • FALL 2018
- Tags: Dinner, Entrée, Lunch, Seafood