A classic comfort food, fried chicken gets special treatment here with hints of coconut and lightly pickled cucumbers and carrots.
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 2 cups low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. lime zest, split in two portions
- 1 Hot House Cucumber, shaved into ribbons
- 2 Jumbo Carrots, shaved into ribbons
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup corn flakes, packed
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup oil for frying
- Marinate chicken drumsticks in mixture of yogurt and half of the lime zest overnight.
- Combine cucumbers, carrots, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Allow to lightly pickle for one hour.
- Heat oil.
- Remove chicken from yogurt, wiping excess off with hands and sprinkle with salt. Dip each first in egg wash, then mixture of corn flakes, breadcrumbs, flour, the other half of the lime zest, and coconut.
- When oil is hot, add three breaded drumsticks. Cook until crust is browned and meat is cooked through. Repeat for remaining three pieces of chicken.
- Serve two drumsticks each atop a bed of the cucumber-carrot pickles.