Citrus Roasted Pepper Relish
Chef David Cunningham | Reinhart Valdosta
- 1 ea medium green bell pepper
- 2 ea medium red bell pepper
- 2 ea limes
- 1 ea lemon
- 2 ea Valencia oranges
- 1 ea pink grapefruit
- ½ C white distilled vinegar
- ¾ C white corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/3 C green onion, thinly sliced on bias
- 1/8 tsp coarse kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, coarsely grinded
- Preheat oven to 450°F. On a small roasting pan, place bell peppers and put it in the oven. Roast until skin is dark brown and beginning to blister. Place peppers in a small plastic bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to cool.
- Section citrus by cutting rinds with a sharp paring knife, removing the white bitter pith. Slice on either side of the membrane, removing citrus segments. Set aside in a bowl. Squeeze membranes over a separate small bowl to reserve juice. Be sure to remove any seeds from the citrus sections and the juice.
- Combine citrus juice, vinegar and corn syrup in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until reduced by three quarters. Remove from heat and hold warm. When the peppers have cooled, peel blistered skin. Remove the stem and scrape out all the seeds. Cut into thin strips.
- To prepare relish toss, put citrus sections and roasted pepper strips in the warm citrus syrup with the green onions and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. It is best to prepare just before serving so the citrus section does not break down too much. Serve warm.
No video selected.