Chorizo & Cheese Empanadas
with Avocado Crema
Empanadas make a deliciously different lunch or dinner and need nothing more than a crisp green salad on the side. They’re also perfect for parties, right at home with other hot or cold appetizers. If you prefer, you can bake the empanadas instead of frying them.
- 1 pound Eagle Ridge® Pork Chorizo (Item# 40770)
- 2 Good Roots® Chile peppers (or other mild dried red chilis*)
- 1 Good Roots Chile pepper (guajillo, or other mild dried red Chile*)
- 1 Good Roots Onion (cut into large chunks)
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 cloves Good Roots garlic
- 1 pound Cotija Cheese (or other mild, semi-hard cheese, grated)
- empanada dough
- flour (All-purpose, for the work surface)
- 6 cups canola oil
- 1 Good Roots Avocado (peeled, pitted, and quartered)
- 1 cup Good Roots Cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 Good Roots Lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, toast the chilis, turning occasionally, until blistered and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the chilis to a bowl of hot water, cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chilis from the water and stem and seed them. Place the chilis, onion, vinegar, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor or the jar of a blender and process to purée, scraping down the bowl or jar as needed.
- Transfer the Chile mixture to a large bowl and add the pork chorizo, mixing until well combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the pork chorizo, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula, until no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a food processor, combine avocado, cilantro, sour cream, lime juice, and olive oil and process to purée, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Add salt to taste and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Stir the cheese into the pork chorizo mixture. Arrange a 5- or 6-inch round of empanada dough or an empanada shell on a lightly floured work surface. Spoon 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of pork chorizo mixture on top, moisten the edges of the shell with water, and fold the shell over the filling, pressing it with a fork to seal. Repeat with the remaining shells and pork mixture, flouring the work surface as necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Arrange two or three paper towel-lined baking sheets in the oven.
- Pour canola oil into a large, heavy saucepan or small stockpot to 1-inch deep and warm it to 350 degrees F. over medium heat. Cook the empanadas in batches, turning occasionally and adjusting the heat to main 350 degrees F., until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets to keep warm.
- Serve the empanadas with the avocado crema on the side.
- Servings: 48
- Type: Lunch, Dinner, Entree
- Categories: The Dish, Recipes
- Tags: Dinner, Entrée, Lunch, Mexican, Pork