Chicken in Peanut Sauce: Pollo Encacahuatado
Chef Jeff Merry
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 2 Roma tomatoes, roasted and peeled
- 1/2 medium white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 cup shelled peanuts, skins removed
- 1 ancho chile, seeded, deveined and soaked in warm water until soft
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, and saute in 2 tablespoons of oil until golden. While chicken is sauteing, make sauce.
- Puree tomatoes, onion and garlic, with a little water, until smooth. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of lard or oil in a large saucepan, add tomato puree, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- In food processor, puree peanuts, chile and cinnamon with chicken broth; add this mixture to tomato puree and continue cooking another 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken into pan containing sauce, cover and cook over low heat for 35 minutes to 40 minutes.
- Serve with rice and fresh, hot tortillas.