Chicken Congee & Crispy Tofu
Chef Yvette Hirang | Kansas City Division
Bowls are set to continue their power roll in 2019, with their portability making them a top choice for a grab-and-go meals for breakfast, lunch or dinner. According to Innova research, breakfast bowls are on a continued upward trend, with new bowl offerings increasing steadily on the menu since 2012. As iconic Chicago breakfast chef Ina Pinkney told the American Egg Board: “Breakfast bowls allow you to choose to eat a meal in layers or mixed all together. Fill it with flavor and texture, and you’ve got an exciting array of concepts that will bring consumers back time and again.” Another plus for foodies of every age, with a special appeal to millennials, is the opportunity an empty bowl offers to fill it with a mouthwatering masterpiece of their own making, freely mixing cuisines, flavors and ingredients. One delicious spin: fusing the Asian breakfast staple of congee with the South’s beloved grits, and adding cured meats, roasted veggies and fish sauce for a dish as welcome for a hearty evening meal as it is on a cold winter morning.
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger, minced
- 6 ea Chicken wings, raw
- 2 Tbsp Neutral Oil (Canola)
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Base
- 4 C Glutinous Rice
- 6 C Water
- 4 ea Hard Boiled Eggs
- ½ C Scallions, sliced
- 3 C Firm Tofu, cut into ½" cubes, deep fried crispy
- ½ C Soy Sauce
- ½ Tbsp Sesame Oil
- TT Salt & Pepper
- Heat oil in a soup pot and toast garlic until brown but not burnt. Set aside. Do the same for the ginger. Set aside.
- Put wings in the same pot; brown all sides.
- Add the vegetable base and the rice in the same pot. Stir until the base has broken down.
- Add the water. Cook for 20 minutes to 25 minutes on medium heat. Stir every 5 minutes to prevent rice from sticking on the bottom of the pot. Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve congee in a bowl with sliced egg, fried tofu, and scallions on top; drizzle with soy sauce mixture.
- Servings: 6
- Type: Breakfast
- Categories: Recipes, VOL 7 - ISSUE 1 • WINTER 2019
- Tags: Breakfast, Chicken