Cherry-Rubbed Pork Belly with Wonton “Crackers” & Cherry Bacon Glaze
Executive Corporate Chef Jeff Merry | Reinhart Boston Region
What inspired you to create this dish?
“I wanted to twist up a pork belly presentation with Asian components.”
- ¼ cup chopped dry cherries
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp ground clove
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 pork belly, skinned and trimmed
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan; cover and heat on low. Reduce. Cover belly with rub and place in smoker. Smoke for about four hours to five hours. Baste as needed.
Cherry Bacon Glaze
- Scrap cherry rub of pork belly; combine with pan drippings, add Kogi OG sauce and blend.
- Cut wrapper diagonally. Lay out on sheet tray. Spray with olive oil. Season with sea salt, cracked black pepper and dried chopped garlic. Bake in 350 F oven until crisp (about eight minutes to 10 minutes), remove and cool.