Caramelized Apple-Onion Jam
- 12 oz Red Jumbo Onion
- 3 ea Red Delicious Apple
- 24 oz Modena Balsamic Vinegar
- 24 oz Light Brown Sugar
- 1 oz Whole Bay Leaf
- 1/8 oz Ground Cloves
- 1/3 oz Garlic, chopped
- Chop the onions as fine as you like and cook them in a little oil until they’re soft.
- Add them, along with everything else, to your big, nonreactive, heavy-bottomed cooking pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then down to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer until the onions are translucent and the liquid has nearly evaporated. This may take as long as two hours.