California Veggie Burger w/Avocado Chili Butter
K12 & Healthcare
Meredith Hink, MS, RD, CD • Reinhart® Corporate Nutrition Services Manager
Portion Cost: $1.08
Suggested Menu Price: $4.50
- 1/2 C Long-grain rice, cooked
- 2 packets Green tea
- 1 ½ C Black beans, canned
- 1 C Fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 C Cabbage & carrot coleslaw mix
- 1 ½ tsp Chopped garlic
- ¼ tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ C Cornmeal
- 2 Avocado, skin and pit removed
- 1 ½ Tbsp Chili powder, mild
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped fresh
- ¼ C Roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp Lime juice
- 8 Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 Tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 16 slices Sourdough bread, toasted
- Prepare rice according to package directions. CCP: Cook to minimum internal temperature of ≥135°F held for 15 seconds and maintain at this temperature until further use.
- Pulse cooked rice, black beans, the contents of the green tea packets, mushrooms, coleslaw mix, chopped garlic, soy sauce and crushed red pepper flakes until well blended. Place in a mixing bowl. Stir in cornmeal until well blended.
- On a preheated flat top place #10 scoop of burger mix and flatten with a spatula. Cook about 4-5 minutes, then flip and continue to cook another 4-5 minutes. CCP: Cook to minimum internal temperature of ≥ 165°F held for 15 seconds. Maintain at an internal temperature of ≥135°F prior to service.
- For avocado chili butter: Place avocado, chili powder, sunflower seeds, and lime juice in a clean food processor and mix until smooth. CCP: Hold at an internal temperature of ≤41°F prior to service.
- To serve, place one romaine leaf on top of a toasted piece of sourdough bread. Top with burger and tomato slice.
- Place 2 Tbsp of avocado butter in a small dish on the side. Garnish with cilantro leaf and sunflower seeds.
TAKE IT A STEP FURTHER
This recipe can also be made gluten-free by using gluten-free soy sauce and replacing the sourdough bread with gluten-free bread/bun or wrapping it in the romaine for a “bread- free” version.
- Servings: 8
- Type: Lunch, Entree
- Cost: Under $5
- Categories: Recipes, VOL 3 - ISSUE 3 • SUMMER 2015
- Tags: Dinner, Entrée, Lunch, Vegetarian