Cajeta (Caramel Sauce)
Great with flan or over ice cream.
- 32 oz Milk Whole White Ultra High Temperature Carton Refrigerated
- 8 oz Sugar in the Raw
- 1/2 oz Cinnamon Stick Korintje 2 3/4" - 3 3/4", 1 stick
- 1/3 oz Extract Vanilla Pure
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt Coarse Kosher
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, combine milk and sugar.
- Mix in cinnamon stick, extract, and kosher salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Constantly stir until milk comes to a boil.
- Remove heat continue to stir, add baking soda.
- Replace onto stove and bring to a simmer. Continue to stir to prevent scorching.
- Once milk starts to turn a caramel color, remove cinnamon stick. Sauce will continue to darken and thicken.
- Once sauce is able to coat a spoon, remove and cool.