Cabernet Braised Short Ribs
served with a decadent wine sauce and mashed potatoes
Item code: T9500
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts only, split lengthwise, thoroughly rinsed, and coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 quarts unsalted beef broth or chicken broth
- Prepare the Prairie Creek® short ribs according to the cooking instructions on the label. After heated, drain the juice from the Prairie Creek® short ribs. In a large bowl, add the short ribs and all vegetables and herbs for the marinade. Add the wine to cover and let marinate.
- Preheat the oven to 350F˚/180C˚. Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry with a towel or paper towel. Strain the veggies from the wine. Reserve both the wine and veggies for later. Sauté the veggies from the marinade until lightly caramelized and browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the wine in the pot, stirring to deglaze. Add tomato paste and stir to dissolve. Bring the liquid to a boil. Add beef broth and bring it back to a boil. Add the ribs back to your pot. Spoon the liquid over the ribs to coat them. Cover the pot and transfer to the middle rack of your oven. Bake until meat is tender enough to be pierced easily with fork.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.