Chef Jeff Merry
- 1 ½ cups basil, cleaned, washed & dried
- 3 Tbsp cold water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup warm water
- Place basil, cold water and olive oil in blender. Blend on high until smooth. Mix by hand with flour tortilla base (see basic flour tortilla recipe). Slowly add hot water until fully incorporated.
- Set aside to rest for 30 minutes to 45 minutes, covering tightly with plastic wrap.
- To form tortillas, cut off 2-inch pieces and roll into balls.
- To press, take wax paper or plastic wrap, place ball in center, top with another piece of paper and place in tortilla press (or use a rolling pin), close and press until flat.
- Repeat 2-3 times for flatter tortillas.
- Heat cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. (You can use a non-stick pan or a flat top as well.) Cook tortillas until they begin to bubble slightly, about 2 minutes on each side.