Basic Flour Tortilla
Chef Jeff Merry
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup lard/bacon fat
- Stir together ingredients with optional flavorings below. Stir ingredients with optional flavorings below.
- Knead by hand until ingredients come together in a ball. (Note: you may need to add a touch more water if dough is too dry.) Set aside to rest for 30 minutes to 45 minutes, covering tightly with plastic wrap.
- To form tortillas, cut off 2-inch pieces and roll into balls.
- To press, take wax paper or plastic wrap, place ball in center, top with another piece of paper and place in tortilla press (or use a rolling pin), close and press until flat.
- Repeat 2-3 times for flatter tortillas.
- Heat cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. (You can use a non-stick pan or a flat top as well.) Cook tortillas until they begin to bubble slightly, about 2 minutes on each side.