A New Look at Nutrition with Reinhart Responsible
Customers are more curious and vocal than ever about what goes into the food they consume, especially when that food is prepared for them by someone else. Transparency is the watch word for the industry, especially when it comes to marketing your menu items.
Customers want to know what ingredients menu items do or do not contain and their nutritional value. Recent menu labeling legislation mandates nutrition labeling for standard menu items at chain restaurants and is heightening awareness of the caloric contributions that menu items provide. The latest updates to legislation affecting schools, day cares and adult feeding centers require foodservice facilities catering to these groups to plan menus based on specific nutrition guidelines such as providing minimum amounts of fruits, vegetables and whole grain rich items at meals served. Customers are challenging the industry to serve delicious meals and be more conscientious about the ingredients they purchase. Rather than having to search through dozens of product profiles, customers want to easily find and select products that will meet their nutritional needs with confidence. It was with these challenges in mind that “Reinhart Responsible” was developed.
Reinhart Responsible is a product portfolio tool that seeks to help Reinhart customers more easily identify items that meet specific ingredient and nutrient criteria. This criteria includes:
1. Overall Standards – All products listed as Reinhart Responsible must limit partially hydrogenated oils, artificial trans fat, high fructose corn syrup, certain preservatives (e.g. sodium benzoate) and common artificial colors.
2. Category Standards – Each product listed as Reinhart Responsible is also tied to a category, and must abide by its category’s unique set of nutrition and ingredient related requirements. Depending on the category, these requirements focus on limiting sodium, saturated fat, added sugars and require whole grains, fruits or vegetables.
These guidelines were developed with input from Reinhart’s nutrition services team, registered dietitian nutritionists, healthcare specialists, chefs, category management and marketing teams. They were developed to address the needs of various operators across foodservice segments, including:
- Health-care facilities looking to develop more liberalized menus to meet the needs of most of their patients/residents by utilizing multipurpose ingredients that allow residents to enjoy their favorite dishes with slight modifications to sodium, fat and
- Schools and day care customers looking to incorporate more fruits, vegetables and whole grain rich products into their meals to comply with federal regulations and encourage children to
- Restaurant customers looking to create menu options for the health-savvy customers that are looking for delicious options that will satisfy their taste buds without adding to their waistlines.
After creating the guidelines, the Nutrition Services team worked with TRACS® Direct to create a way to find and compile a list of items meeting these criteria. Reinhart Responsible is a searchable badge in the order guide area under the “advanced search” feature. It is also a report in the "report" menu. In addition, recipes cards with pictures, nutrition information and menu ideas utilizing Reinhart Responsible products are available in the Reinhart Responsible folder in the RFS Document Library in TRACS® Direct. Reinhart Responsible was created to inspire and empower foodservice operators to meet the current nutrition and transparency demands with flavorful options.