Crispy Pork Belly
w/Wilted Chard & Smoked Sweet Potatoes
Chef David Quick | Reinhart Knoxville
- 5 oz pork belly, braised
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin canola oil
- ¼ oz whole shallot, peeled
- 2 oz swiss chard
- 1 oz cider apple vinegar
- 2 oz chicken broth, canned
- ½ ea whole garlic, peeled
- 2 sweet potatoes (recipe below)
- ½ Tbsp golden molasses, unsulphured
- ½ C honey
- ¼ C lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp grade A sweet cream solid butter, salted
- ¼ tsp ground paprika, smoked
- Set the oven to 400° F. Braise pork belly in pan for 3 hours at 300° F. Cool and portion in small squares. Oil portioned pork belly and place on small sheet tray. Place in oven and heat for 10 minutes.
- While pork belly is heating, get sauté pan going over medium heat and place in oil. Add sliced shallot, garlic and sauté for 1 minute, then quickly add Swiss chard and toss. Next, add small splash of cider vinegar, chicken broth and touch of salt and reduce liquid until gone.
- Sweet Potatoes: Set the oven to 400 F. Prick with fork and bake in oven for 1 hour or until soft. Pull out and place in smoker for 30 minutes. Take out of smoker, peel skin and place in Vitamix. Add molasses, paprika, salt and butter and blend until smooth. You can add a touch of chicken broth for a smoother texture.
- Reduction: Take braising liquid from finalized pork belly in small pan and reduce over medium heat. Add honey and lemon juice while reducing. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- To plate dish, first whisk smoked sweet potatoes. Then pile on chard. Next, add crispy pork belly, then drizzle reduction side to side.