Trapps Superb Cup of Gumbo----- INGREDIENTS -----
- 3 ea. Yellow Onions, diced
- 3 ea. Green Bell Peppers, diced
- 3 bundles Celery, diced (these first 3 ingredients are known as the 'holy trilogy' by southern folks)
- 8 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 4 lbs. Andouille Sausage
- 5 lbs. Chicken Thigh Meat (may substitute breast)
- Dry Parsley
- 4 Tbsp. Dry Thyme
- 4 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
- tt Onion Powder
- tt Cayenne Pepper
- tt White Pepper
- tt Black Pepper
- tt Salt
- tt Bay Leaves
*tt - to taste
For the Chicken Stock:
- In Stockpot, add whole chickens with onions, celery, carrots, black peppercorns, salt, and bay leaves. (No need to dice since this is the chicken stock). Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for two hours.
- Pull the chicken out and de-bone. Set chicken aside.
For the Roux:
- In a cast iron skillet combine equal parts fat (vegetable or canola oil) and flour and heat on medium high. Add flour to thicken roux.
- Stir constantly. Cook until it’s a little darker than peanut butter. Be very careful not to burn it. Could take up to 45 min.
For the Gumbo:
- Sauté veggies in some butter until tender; add water and stock to pot bring to a boil.
- Add roux, stirring until its well incorporated. Add the chicken and sausage.
- Simmer for a minimum of 1 hour, but recommended 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over a bed of rice.
Getting the roux right is KEY to any southern big pot recipe. Do not try to expedite getting to the 'darker than peanut butter' stage. You will be disappointed in the overall final taste and outcome your Gumbo, or worse, you will burn it and have to start over. Also, in place of chicken you can add fresh Gulf Shrimp, Crawfish, Alligator, Duck, Dove or any other 'ingredient' found in the south.
- Restaurant Name: Trapps
- Division: Shreveport
- Category: Sides