Chocolate Stout Cake----- INGREDIENTS -----
- 8 oz. Beer (stout)
- 16 oz. Unsalted Butter
- 4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ Baking Cocoa
- 4 cups Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Soda
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Kosher Salt
- 4 ea. Eggs - Cage Free
- 1 1/3 cups Sour Cream
- 16 oz. Heavy Cream
- 16 oz. Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
For Sugar Cage:
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Water, room temperature
- 4 oz. Seasonal Berries
- 1 oz. Grand Marnier
- Powdered Sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Bring 2 cups of stout and 2 cups of butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 1 ½ tsp. salt in large bowl to blend. Using mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend. Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine. Add flour mixture and beat briefly on low speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined.
- Pour into 5-inch spring form pans and bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer cakes to cooling rack and release cakes when completely cooled.
- Take heavy cream and slowly raise temperature to medium-heavy (between 135 and 145 F), while constantly stirring.
- Add semi-sweet chocolate chips and continually stir until chocolate is melted.
- Transfer to plastic deli container and store at slightly above room temperature.
- Make sugar cages by slowly melting sugar with water in Teflon pan.
- When sugar has melted and becomes medium brown in color, pull pan from heat and continually whisk with high temp spatula. Spray the outside of a 6oz ladle and hold it upside down while crisscrossing the sugar to create a sugar dome with lattice design. Let cool and keep in airtight container until ready.
- When it is cooled, cut top of cake off to create a level top. Cut cake in half and then add ganache in between both layers.
- Ganache the outside of the cake by pouring on top of the cake and letting the ganache naturally coat the cake. Toss seasonal berries with Grand Manier and place in the middle of the cake. Add sugar dome cage on top, covering berries. Sprinkle
- Restaurant Name: Canal Park Brewery
- Division: Twin Cities
- Category: Desserts