Ostrich Sausage Pizza
on Sprouted Buckwheat Crust
Chef Lee Sepaniac | Culinary Specialist, Gourmet Food Group
- 1 cup "00" Flour
- 1 cup AP Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sprouted Buckwheat Flour
- 1 cup lukewarm tap water
- 1 tsp. Salt Fine Sea
- 3/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp EVOO
- 4 oz. Black Kalamata Olive Paste
- 1 oz. EVOO
- 3 oz. Ground Ostrich Sausage
- 4 oz. Roasted Red Pepper
- 4 oz. Diced and Roasted eggplant
- 4 oz. Mozzarella and Jack Cheese
- 2 oz. Shaved Manchego Cheese
- .05 oz. Petite Red Spinach
- 1 oz. Dried Pomegranate Arils
- 1 oz. Pomegranate Balsamic Reduction
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flours and salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together 1 cup lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil, then pour it into flour mixture. Knead with your hands until well combined, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead rested dough for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place on a heavily floured surface, cover and let rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature or for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator. If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 minutes before you begin to shape it.
- To make pizza, place each dough ball on a heavily floured surface and use your fingers to stretch it, then your hands to shape it into rounds.
- In advance, roast eggplant, peppers and brown the ostrich.
- Evenly spread the stretched crust with olive paste and EVOO, bake for 4 minutes
- Remove from oven and top with eggplant, red peppers, and mozzarella, return to oven and bake 2-3 minutes
- Remove from oven and finish pizza with red spinach, pomegranate arils, and drizzle with pomegranate reduction.