Keys to Reducing Server Turnover
And knowing what to look for when hiring the right staff
If you run a restaurant or a bar, you are likely faced with a hundred different challenges in a day. How many of those challenges have to do with your staff? As a restaurant owner or operator, you are no stranger to the fact that employee turnover is a challenge. In fact, it is consistently one of the top challenges restaurateurs face year after year.
However, coupled with labor challenges and an aging workforce, no one would blame you for arguing that things are feeling tougher lately. The loss of an employee at your restaurant is more than just a change in your staff. In fact, it’s all of these things:
- Cost: in time and money you spent hiring a new employee.
- Shift Changes: without prior notice, the loss of an employee can be disastrous to your shift scheduling.
- Training: exposure to your restaurant and its operations is essential to onboarding a new employee.
- Customer Experience: ramping up a new employee takes time and that can sometimes mean a dip in customer experience.
WHAT OTHER ISSUES DO YOU FACE?
How do you overcome them while also strengthening your restaurant business?
The best restaurateurs know that it takes more than a good menu to bring guests in the door; good staff is clutch. So when thinking about retaining great staff, the key is discovering why servers typically leave and acting on a solution:
Reason 1: Pay + Hours
- Solution 1: Be sure not to short- change your highest performing employees and you’ll increase your chances of retaining them.
Reason 2: Internal Conflicts
- Solution 2: Have your fingers on the pulse of staff engagement as much as guest engagement.
Reason 3: Lack of Opportunity
- Solution 3: Take the time to set up regular check-ins on an individual level with your staff so you can understand their abilities and desires in the industry.
Thinking about hiring more servers to your staff?
You’ll want to measure these five characteristics:
RELIABILITY • DEDICATION • AMICABILITY • COOPERATION • COMMUNICATION
You’ll notice that your top performers all share these qualities and they make up an ideal server profile.
You work hard to create a good customer experience and that means that great food, a stellar atmosphere, and amazing service need to come together. By incorporating these solutions and measures, you will ensure a strong staff and profitability for your business.